Tuesday, May 3, 2016

As I arrived at the Getty, I looked around in awe of all  of the different places to go. This was my first visit and I was shocked to see this niche of cultural hidden in a place that has been so close to me for so long. Being unsure of where to go I grabbed a map and began to wonder throughout the exhibits and I noticed many things that I thought could correlate to some of the topics we have discussed thus far. When I was exploring some romantic sculptures and I noticed the detailed muscles and facial structures I knew that correlated to week four’s discussion of medical technology and art. With that being my first example I decided to dive farther and see what else I could find that related to our theme, but something a bit more modern. 

As I made my way to the garden I noticed an exhibit entitled "In Focus: Electric!" This caught my eye because of the way the photographers have viewed light and electricity as form of art. This reminded me of week three’s focus on robotics and art. Some might be confused about his this relates to robotics, but with pieces focusing on how life is attached to a power grid this exhibit shows the correlation of robotics and art. 


One piece that caught my eye was "After Electric Dress A Positive 4", this piece shows an image of a woman wrapped in lights and her silhouette illuminates from where the lights would be. This piece reminded me of a robot or cyborg in the sense that the lights are engulfing the human being and are showing how humans are trapped in electricity. In a sense, this piece shows how even humans are becoming robotic due to the use of technology that we are so unraveled in. This image is fifteen years old and since the production of this work, I could only imagine how much things have changed since this piece was produced. People are becoming more engrossed with technology and electricity and in this piece of art I see the human becoming the robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment