Sunday, April 24, 2016

http://www.goodreads.com/book
/show/475900.Gray_s_Anatomy

My knowledge of medical technologies and art was never very large. In grade school we would do simple dissections and learn about human and animal anatomy, but I never really understood how that would correlate to art. But after viewing lecture this week and realizing that human dissection is the gateway to realistically drawing and sculpting the human body. The book "Grays Anatomy" was written an intended for medical use, but because of its detail on the human body many artist have copies because of their diagrams of the human body.

My first crossing with medical technology was when I injured my shoulder and had to get an MRI. When I entered the small tube, I didn't realize at the time how that advancement was so useful not only for science but also art. Magnetic Resonance Imaging machines allow for doctors to view the insides of bodies to see if we are injured or sick. This modern and non-invasive way to look inside the body is revolutionary because we have accurate images of the inside of a body when people are still alive.

Photos of me before and after my
plastic surgery experience


Another intersection I had with medical technology and art was during my senior year of high school when I needed reconstructive rhinoplasty surgery. Many people thought I was just trying to change my look, even though I needed to reconstruct my nasal cavities due to an accident. Reconstructing disfigured bodies and faces into a more suitable form is one thing plastic surgery is famous for, in fact it is actually where its name comes from. And as we learned in lecture plastic surgery originated during world war one in efforts to reconstruct the dismembered faces and body parts of those that were injured at battle. since then the use of plastic surgery has changed so much, now people use it to find the perfect version of themselves. But there are also other things it can be used for. 
http://www.findmypast.com/articles
/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/
armed-forces-and-conflict/harold-gillles-plastic-
surgery-archives-from-wwi

One example of somebody using plastic surgery is Orlan, who is famous for using plastic surgery to recreate famous works of art. Not for their beauty however, but for their stories that accompany the beauteous subjects. Orlean has taken the endless opportunities that plastic surgery has and used them to recreate some of the greatest pieces of art, this is something that many might not think of, but with some creativity it allows us to relive part of history.


Citations

Carnal Art. Perf. Orlan. 2011. Online.

"Orlan." Wikipedia.org. 5 Mar. 2016. Web. 24 Apr. 2016. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlan>.

Vesna, Victoria. "Lecture Part 1." Medicine Technology Art | Lectures. Online, Los Angeles. 22 Apr. 2016. Lecture. 

Vesna, Victoria. "Lecture Part 2." Medicine Technology Art | Lectures. Online, Los Angeles. 22 Apr. 2016. Lecture.
Vesna, Victoria. "Lecture Part 3." Medicine Technology Art | Lectures. Online, Los Angeles. 22 Apr. 2016. Lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment